The Johns Hopkins University was originally founded as an all-male institution in 1876. In September 1970, Johns Hopkins broke a 94-year old tradition by admitting undergraduate women. Ten years later, sororities began to colonize at JHU.
The Gamma Tau Chapter of Phi Mu Fraternity was founded at Johns Hopkins University in October 1982, making it the first sorority on campus. The Johns Hopkins University currently recognizes 5 National Panhellenic Conference sororities.
Since 1982, our chapter has grown every year. We have truly established ourselves as a prominent student organization. Gamma Tau is extremely excited to celebrate our 35-year anniversary at Johns Hopkins this October.
Today, Gamma Tau is one of the largest Greek organization at Johns Hopkins with over 150 sisters who wear their letters proudly and demonstrate all the ideals of being noble women of Phi Mu.